Friday 11 December 2015

OUGD502 - Sophie Rose Wall Make Up Artistry

I was approached via my facebook page to create a visual identity for a make up artist student. She had given me some concepts of her own.



These initial concepts that she had created helped me a lot in order to get the kind of thing that she wanted. With the "smoky" effect she was trying to create the illusion of glitter. 



I started by taking a typeface very similar to her serif choices and framed it within a box. I created patterns based on different tools of the make up artistry trade: eyeshadow, glitter, lipstick and eyeliner. I thought that this sort of graphic style could be suited to any occasion and keeping the logo itself very simple would lend well to any situation too. 

However when sending these designs to her she preferred the one where she had found a diamond with watercolour textures, so I tried a range of designs with some quick textures that I produced. 


In response to this she changed her mind once more. Which was rather annoying as I just wanted to do it quickly as I could as I wasn't charging her much. But never the less she wanted to use her initials instead of her full name now. And I suppose this is just what it is like working for a client - sometimes they may not necessarily have the same taste as you as a designer so you have to deal with this sort of criticism and not take it to heart. 
I played around with using her first and last initial with a picture of a rose in between to represent her middle name and she seemed to really respond well to this. After that it was just minor adjustments, changing the colours to ones that are greyscale and altering the type a little.  



And this was the final logo that I created. I learnt a lot about possible work from this process as I feel like I spent a lot more time than I should have done making alterations. If I was to do this again I would definitely charge more as I only charged her £35 for about half a days worth of work. Still it is good practice for me to communicate professionally with a client and arrange payments for future work that I may receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment